Representing ourselves: blog task

1) Read the article and summarise each section in one sentence, starting with the section 'Who are you?'
Who are you?:
With most things we do, we try to create a perception of ourselves, whether it be online or in person.

I think, therefore I am:
In the past we were constricted to multiple different social aspects to define who we are as people and our social roles. But with the development of the digital age we all have a voice and oppurtunity to become something more.

The rise of the individual:
In the second half of the 20th century people began to try and be more individual and to be unique. Advertisers took advantage of this mindset and create advertisements that would state their products could help people find and select their individuality.

Branding and Lifestyle:
In the 70's and 80's the importance of brands began to rise, this led to producers to sell a perosnality they associated with that brand.

Who will we be?:
Due to the rise of the digital  it has now become much easier for us all to represent ourselfs in the image we want to.


2) List five brands you are happy to be associated with and explain how they reflect your sense of identity.

sennheiser is a brand that I like to associate myself due to the quality they provide. They reflect my sense of identity through the quality of their products for their price. It gives me a sense of value and style put together.

Nintendo is a company I have used for years since I was a child. It provides me with a sense of nostalgia when I use it, this reflects my thought of old gaming values.

MSI is another company I like to be associated with as it helps promote the idea of technological advancement I like to associate with myself.

Apple is another brand I like to associate myself with as it helps reflect a quality of premium I enjoy to be associated with 

Nike helps promote the idea of individuality, something I enjoy to take pride in with all my endevours.

3) Do you agree with the view that modern media is all about 'style over substance'? What does this expression mean?

I do not agree with this statement and believe that there should be a middle point between these two opposites. While style is important to set individuality, and substance to actually get your value for your money, if one is focused on far too much than the other, it would result in the consumer being ripped off completly. This term states that the style of something is more important than the substance or value of it.



4) Explain Baudrillard's theory of 'media saturation' in one paragraph. You may need to research it online to find out more.

Baudrillards theory of "media saturation" states that there is a sense of hyperreality, what this means is that in two very significant cultures, video and celebrity culture. What this means is that a barrier between these two cultures are gone, results in the normal person to try and replicate this, for celebrity culture this could be a person trying to replicate the celebrity persona, while video game cultue could be the reproduction of violent acts in a game.


5) Is your presence on social media an accurate reflection of who you are? Have you ever added or removed a picture from a social media site purely because of what it says about the type of person you are?
I haven't in the past due to two reasons; one being that I don't post much on social media, the other reason is that I prefer to make sure what I do post is perfect.


6) What is your opinion on 'data mining'? Are you happy for companies to sell you products based on your social media presence and online search terms? Is this an invasion of privacy?

No I believe that this is perfectly fine to practise as no terms of service or morals are being effected in anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Audience theory Task

MIGRAIN: Audience theory - Effects debate factsheet